I still remember the moment when it was my wife birthday and we are looking to buy a house. The initial plan was to turn the new house into a homestay. But that didn’t took off because the house costs use RM350,000 and we thought we could invest the money in a better way.
But on the same day, I bought the domain http://homestayku.my with the dream to setup the website for the homestay.
For few months, nothing is being added or removed. The clock is ticking but I realized I have nothing to launch.
At the same time, I created a facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/homestayku and upload the logo and branding colour which I took 30 minutes to produce and park it there.
Interesting enough, the number of Likes are growing up to 300 Likes until earlier last month (November). At that time, there is no sign that a homestay or bed and breakfast is going to be opened.
But everyday, I keep dreaming of it.
So, earlier this month (December), my mom told me that she wanted to turn the house into a homestay. After thinking through, I decide to split things in the middle. Since we have a corner-lot house and we did a renovation before, we concluded to let the top floor to the homestay business.
Mom agreed and we will join force in the business.
- I will use my expertise in social media, local search marketing and branding
- My wife will use her Operational Management degree to manage the figures and operational
- My mom who is a good cook will show off her skills plus the 25+ years experience in tailoring to design the rooms with the concept we have outlines for each rooms.
- My dad who is an incredible PR and strong corporate relation will arrange meetings with nearby specialist hospital to promote and pull the crowd.
- My siblings will each bring their effort to the business as well to ensure the running is smooth.
Who would have thought your dream will take 4 months to finally kickstart. I almost didn’t believe it until I step out of the top veranda and look around. The specialist hospital which is just a walking distance, Legoland, Johor Premium outlet, Danga Bay, International Kite Festivals, Pasir Gudang port and industrial area for managers who will be outstation in this town and more.
I can see it is a sustainable business and could generate additional income for our family. I am grateful that things now fall into places.
I agree for the saying that even the dream itself is a gift from Allah.
Like the homestay page: Homestayku
Follow on Twitter: @homestayku